b-hebrew - Re: Alma, Parthenos, Virgin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "winedt" <winedt AT bbits.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Alma, Parthenos, Virgin
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 16:06:24 -0400

> This is an interesting idea in view of the modern opinions that the
> idea of the virgin birth (clearly attested in Luke as well as Matthew)
> came from the early Christians' reading of LXX. If this idea was not
> in the LXX which they read, this would strengthen the argument that
> Matthew and Luke were reporting actual events. Now I don't want to get
> into Christian theology on this list, but here it does interact with a
> Hebrew textual issue. Where did the idea of the virgin birth come from
> if not from LXX?

Dear all,

I am new to the list and think that this interesting discussion is moving
more and more outside of the domain of "hebrew studies", but may I add one
more point" :-)?

If my memory serves me right, isn't it so that [in the intertestamental
period] there is also some evidence of Jewish writers expecting the Mesiah
to be born by virgin birth? If so, then the concept of virigin birth is not
so alien to Judaism as many in this discussion are assuming. Furthermore,
there was a tradition in diaspora Judaism of the virginal conception of the
patriarchs. (See Philo; De Cherubim 13).

Regards