b-hebrew - Re: Pragmatics of New Topics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pragmatics of New Topics
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 20:42:42 -0400

Hi Paul,
you wrote:

> G'day Matthew,
>
> Actually, this example is counter-expectation for the
normal Hebrew
> verbless clause. With the lack of the article in the
first element and
> the proper noun in the second, the order here is
Predicate-Subject,
> which is generally used for description, is it not? The
"normal" word
> order for identification is "Subject-Predicate." And it
is this
> "counter-expectation" that I see as a stronger indication
of a new
> topic. (I don't have access to Dik.) It explains the use
of fronting
> to bring an element of a clause in focus, which is how I
generally see
> the "X-" clauses. [For example, if a contrast is being
drawn, the first
> clause seems to be normally verb initial (normally a
"waw-" form) and
> the second clause has the contrasted item, the new topic,
if you will,
> fronted.]
>
> Again, since I don't have access to Dik, I'm not 100% sure
I am talking
> about the same thing he is. So please correct my
understanding, if you
> will.

It's wild isn't it? We can disagree about such seemingly
simple things! You'd think such simple things would be
givens. I guess it shows that the field lacks some
standard, an authoritative voice with which all are pleased.
See my response to Matthew. In it I tell why I think the
clause is not marked and S-P. What do you think?

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor