b-hebrew - Re: Pragmatics of New Topics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <zellmer AT digitelone.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pragmatics of New Topics
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 07:15:38 +0800

G'day Matthew,

Actually, this example is counter-expectation for the normal Hebrew
verbless clause. With the lack of the article in the first element and
the proper noun in the second, the order here is Predicate-Subject,
which is generally used for description, is it not? The "normal" word
order for identification is "Subject-Predicate." And it is this
"counter-expectation" that I see as a stronger indication of a new
topic. (I don't have access to Dik.) It explains the use of fronting
to bring an element of a clause in focus, which is how I generally see
the "X-" clauses. [For example, if a contrast is being drawn, the first
clause seems to be normally verb initial (normally a "waw-" form) and
the second clause has the contrasted item, the new topic, if you will,
fronted.]

Again, since I don't have access to Dik, I'm not 100% sure I am talking
about the same thing he is. So please correct my understanding, if you
will.

Paul Zellmer