b-hebrew - Re[3]: The "times" of Isaiah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[3]: The "times" of Isaiah
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 07:48:23 +0200

Dear Peter,

Our disagreement may be a matter of terminology. I have on this list
differentiated between "semantic meaning" ( which signify that the property
we ascribe to the form is uncancellable, e.g. the semantic meaning of
"went" is past tense) and "conversational pragmatic implicature" (which
signify that the property we ascribe to a particular verb is dependent on
the context, e.g. an English present participle). The epithet "semantic"
shows that I do not use "meaning" *alone* as signifying uncancellable
properties.

When it comes to the "time" of a verb, I use the term "tense" when the
particular form *only* signifies an event either before or after the
deictic point; i.e. the temporal meaning is connected with the form and not
with the context. I use "past meaning", "present meaning", and "future
meaning" when I simply say that the RT of a particular verb in this
particular context comes before or after or coincides with C, without
implying whether this is connected with the form or with the context.

I therefore agree that the YIQTOLs of )MR are tenseless, and add that this
is the case with all other Hebrew verbs as well.

Regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo