b-hebrew - Re: Bible Computer programs

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Bible Computer programs
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 13:26:37 -0400

To me the most useful thing about Bible computer programs (when
looking at the original text) is that you can simply click on a word
and immediately find its base form, its parsing, and its dictionary
entry. That is of course just a saving of time - a lot of time!
(Especially for those at the level which Paul just mentioned who have
to look up 20-30% of words in the dictionary.) But from then on there
are other advantages which you cannot do without the computer - or at
least they might take you years. You can search for all the
occurrences of a particular form, or its base form, or its root etc.
You can search for places where it occurs together with some other
word, or has been translated in a particular way, or whatever. You can
do searches for which the sky is the limit, or at least the search
facilities of your program are. Yes, you should certainly go out and
get one.

From recent correspondence (on this list and off it) I understand that
the best packages are Gramcord if you are interested primarily in the
original text, and BibleWorks if you want to work also with English or
other translations and with the reference works included with the
program.

Peter Kirk