b-hebrew - Re: Jonah and Tobit

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <soren AT enteract.com>
  • Subject: Re: Jonah and Tobit
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 12:36:13 -0400

My LXX (Rahlfs edition) has two versions of Tobit. In one version,
which apparently follows Alexandrinus and Vaticanus, 14:4 starts
something like this: "Go away to Media, my son, for I am persuaded by
what the prophet Jonah said about Nineveh, that it will be
overthrown..." There is a further mention of Jonah in 14:8: "And now,
my son, leave Nineveh, for everything which the prophet Jonah has
spoken will take place."

The second version of Tobit in my LXX, apparently following
Sinaiticus, has a much longer text for 14:4, which starts "and hurry
off to Media, for I believe the word of God that Nahum spoke about
Nineveh, that all these things will take place and overtake Assyria
and Nineveh. Indeed, everything that was spoken by the prophets of
Israel, whom God sent, will occur. None of their words will fail, but
all will come true at their appointed times..." This latter
translation is taken from NRSV which appears at least here to be a
translation of the Sinaiticus text. There is no mention of Jonah in
14:8. From just 14:4, I would guess that these texts started as
different translations of the same (Hebrew?) original, for they use
near synonyms in Greek e.g. "go away" vs. "hurry off", "I am
persuaded" vs. "I believe" which are unlikely to have arisen by
corruption of a Greek text.

So we see that Jonah is mentioned in Alexandrinus and Vaticanus, but
instead Nahum in Sinaiticus. Possibly Nahum was substituted for Jonah
because someone saw the inconsistency you have spotted. Or possibly
the other way round, someone replaced the less well known (but more
appopriate) Nahum with the better known Jonah.

Even if the reference to Jonah is original, it does not necessarily
mean that the author of Tobit knew of another version of the Jonah
story. The author may want to present the death of Tobit as
contemporary with the preaching of Jonah, with Tobit advising his son
to flee within the 40 day period of Jonah's warning (Sinaiticus
suggests less urgency, that Tobias should wait for his mother's death
before fleeing, see 14:10 in NRSV); in fact (as we see in Tobit 14:15)
Nineveh was destroyed some time later. Another possibility is a
theological interpretation of Jonah which saw the fall of Nineveh, as
prophesied by Jonah, as being delayed by the temporary repentance
described in that book but as actually taking place later, thus making
Jonah a genuine prophet rather than one whose only prophecy ("Nineveh
will be overthrown") was not fulfilled.

Peter Kirk