b-hebrew - Jonah and Tobit

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Steve Oren" <soren AT enteract.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Jonah and Tobit
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 99 19:10:33 PDT

THis is a question which may belong on b-greek to which (for reasons that=
will appear] I don't belong.

I am part of a group studying Sefer Yonah (the Book of Jonah). In the =
course of that study, we became aware that the end of Tobit (in the LXX =
but not in the MT) refers to Jonah. The passage, however (Tobit 14:4 ff)=
seems to show that while the author of Tobit was aware of a Jonah story =
about Nineveh, he did not have our Jonah story in which Nineveh is eventu=
ally spared. Goodspeed, the editor of the translation I used (since I =
don't know Greek) says that "The THree great manuscripts of the Greek Bib=
le differ in their texts of TObit. The present tradition follows traditio=
n in presenting the text of the Vaticanus and Alexandrinus. The Sinaitic=
us may represent an older text".

So, the question is: Is there an English version of this Sinaiticus text =
and where does one obtain it? Needless to say, anyone aware of studies =
of the relationship of Jonah to Tobit is also encouraged to come forth =
with this information. My e-mail address is: soren AT enteract.com.

Thank you in advance

Stephen Oren
Chicago, IL

  • Jonah and Tobit, Steve Oren, 07/28/1999