b-hebrew - Re: Ecc 5:7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Humpal" <ebedyah AT elite.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Ecc 5:7
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 16:42:16 -0700

George wrote, <<It suggests that the corruption of this sort is rife at all
levels of
government, even at the very top. I can't really see an accusation against
the deity in this verse. It seems to be an accusation aimed at government
bureaucrats by a person who is very familiar with the in's and out's of the
state mechanism. The word "GABoaH" is probably used in a slang way to denote
someone in a "high" position.>>

George,

Although this is certainly one way to look at this verse, it seems to me
this could also be a positive statement that eventually wrongs done in
distant provinces will be righted by the king because God is watching over
the situation. I don't see the two uses of gaboah as a slang (?) but rather
a simple comparative. This one section from verses 7-19 seems to show a
viewpoint from someone in power who has confidence in the government
structure of accountability. Also, this section is framed by references to
God (in verses 5-6 and 17-18) perhaps reminding his readers that even the
king answers to a higher authority. Perhaps the meaning of the third use --
g'bohiym -- refers to the king and God. This whole section, instead of
indicating frustration by some helpless bureaucrat, seems to me to indicate
the confidence of someone in high authority. Verse 17 especially indicates
a person justifying his wealth while at the same time realizing that the
wealth was acquired from the fields of others (verse 7). I have noticed
that the way we interpret Qoheleth is determined in a great measure by our
view of Qoheleth's position.

Dave Humpal ebedyah AT elite.net
First Christian Church, Merced, California
Help for the Hurting Christian (with alphabetical index of Help Topics)
http://www.elite.net/~ebedyah/PastorsHomePage.htm
First Christian Church Site
http://www.elite.net/~ebedyah/FirstChristianHomePage.htm

  • Re: Ecc 5:7, David Humpal, 05/31/1999