b-hebrew - Re: die Flucht ins Prasens, Peter

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: John Ronning <ronning AT ilink.nis.za>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: die Flucht ins Prasens, Peter
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 23:00:29 +0200

Dear Bryan,

You asked,

> How do you like this translation of Psa 1:
>
> "Oh the blessednesses of the man who is no walker in the
> counsel of the wicked ones. In the way of the sinning ones
> he is no stander. In the dwelling of the mocking ones he is
> no dweller."
>
> The point is that the generic (or habitual or gnomic) sense
> is also common to the qatal as well as to the English "-er"
> word.

One could say:
(a) he is not a drinker, or
(b) he doesn't drink

I think (b) implies a teetotaler, but (a) does not, and that Psa 1:1 calls
for a (b)
type translation, whereas you are giving it an (a). The habitual doing of
good is
described with the yiqtol in v. 2 (he meditates in the law day and night).
Likewise
in Psalm 15 the habitual doing of good is described with yiqtol and
participles, but
like Ps 1:1, the lo' + qatal is used for what he doesn't do (exception - v. 4
he
swears to his own injury [qatal] but does not change it [yiqtol]; perhaps to
be
explained, when he has sworn to his own hurt, he will not change it).

The opposite or complement of the habitual doing of good is not the
non-habitual doing
of evil (a possible implication of your translation), but the complete
avoidance of
evil, and perhaps the past-tense bias of the qatal is used to accomplish this
- he has
not stood in the path of the sinner, etc. (ever).

Yours,

John