b-hebrew - Re[2]: Leprosy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <isheres AT mail.sdsu.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Leprosy
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 19:56:30 -0400

Dear Ita, Ben, Matthew and others,

I am taking much of my information on leprosy from the excursus "CR(T
and Leprosy" in John E. Hartley's Word Biblical Commentary on
Leviticus (Word, Dallas 1992, ISBN 0-8499-0203-7), pp.187-189. This
discussion concludes that CR(T in the Hebrew Bible was not Hansen's
disease. A major argument is that (from skeleton evidence) Hansen's
disease was known only in India and China, not in Europe, until the
3rd century BC; and when it appeared in Europe it was considered a new
disease and called (in Greek) ELEFANTIASIS, not LEPRA. LEPRA, Hartley
argues, was a more generic term for a variety of skin diseases, which
was first applied to Hansen's disease by medieval Arabic authors.

Hartley refers to S.G. Browne, "Leprosy in the Bible", London:
Christian Medical Fellowship, 1970; E.V. Hulse, "The Nature of
Biblical 'Leprosy' and the Use of Alternative Medical Terms in Modern
Translations of the Bible", PEQ 107 (1975) 87-105; H.P. Lie, "On
Leprosy in the Bible", Leprosy Review 9 (1938) 25-31, 55-67 (=Acta
Dermato-Venereologia 18 (1937) 624ff); R.G. Cochrane "Biblical
Leprosy: A Suggested Interpretation", Glasgow: Pickering & Inglis,
1963. Hartley mentions that a different view is found in R.K.
Harrison, "Leprosy", ISBE rev 3:105. So perhaps the issue is not as
settled as Hartley would like to think.

But elsewhere (in the UBS Handbook on Leviticus) I found a quote from
"one physician who is very familiar with the problem" who wrote that
"we can state quite definitely that at the time when the Old Testament
literature was created, leprosy simply did not exist in that part of
the world." The reference is The Bible Translator, April 1980, vol.31
no.2, pp.208-209.

I hope this is helpful for your researches.

Peter Kirk