b-hebrew - Re[2]: Leprosy

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Leprosy
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 11:22:30 -0400

Dear Ben,

You wrote: "TsaRa`aT is Biblical leprosy; whether or not it is the
same as Hansen's Disease is beside the point." But then the rest of
your discussion is based on the assumption that it is the same as
Hansen's Disease. Maybe it is (I am not convinced by the arguments
against this), in which case Matthew would be right to gloss "leprosy"
as you argue. But if we accept the arguments that Biblical TsaRa`at is
not Hansen's Disease, and given that in modern English the word
"leprosy" is generally used for Hansen's Disease, the gloss "leprosy"
then becomes inappropriate. I did suggest off-list to Matthew the
possibility of a gloss "leprosy" in quotation marks with a footnote;
but I don't think a simple gloss "leprosy" is acceptable given the
weight of modern medical opinion.

Peter Kirk