b-hebrew - Re: Verbless clauses

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kirk Lowery <KirkLowery AT xc.org>
  • To: Matthew Anstey <manstey AT portal.ca>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Verbless clauses
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 20:41:29 -0400

Matthew Anstey wrote:

> However, we would just like some more technical linguistic advice as
> to the placement of the [is] in the interlinear. It has to be attached to
> either "the man" or "good." So the two options are (the full-stops indicate
> connection):
> 1. the.man [is].good
> 2. the.man.[is] good

The way we parse verbless clauses here, option 1 is how we would do it. The
verbless clause will have -- apart from temporal or other types of adjuncts
-- a
subject and predicate. In English "the man" == subject, "is good" == the
predicate.

> What are the opinions of linguists (and others) on the list as to which is
> more linguistically accurate? Likewise, with this sort of sentence (Gen
> 2.19), what is best:
> 1. that.[was] its.name
> 2. that [was].its.name

Gn 2:19: HW.' $:MOW

Based upon the way I define subjects and predicates, HW.' is the subject,
$:MOW
is the predicate, so option 2 would be my choice.

> One final example from Eze 28.3:
> 1. wiser you.[are] than.Daniel
> 2. [are].wiser you than.Daniel

Ex 28:3: XFKFM 'AT.FH MID.FNI'"L

Ah, here is where we have three syntactic elements for a verbless clause, as I
see it:

Predicate (XFKFM) + Subject ('AT.FH) + Adjunct:comparative (MID.FNI'"L)

Now, do you want to include the comparative as part of the predicate? Then we
have a spit constituent. But I would vote for option 2 for this verse.

So the algorithmic rule (if you are automating the glossing): put the copula
with the predicate. The subject and predicate can be determined on a
morphological ranking scheme. Email me offlist if interested in the
details....

Blessings,

Kirk
Kirk E. Lowery, Ph.D. voice: (215) 572-3854
Associate Director, Westminster Hebrew Institute fax: (215) 887-5404
Adjunct Professor of Old Testament email: <KirkLowery AT xc.org>
Westminster Theological Seminary
Philadelphia, PA 19118

  • Verbless clauses, Matthew Anstey, 05/24/1999
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Verbless clauses, Kirk Lowery, 05/24/1999
    • Re: Verbless clauses, Studium Biblicum Franciscanum, 05/25/1999