b-hebrew - Verbless clauses

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Matthew Anstey" <manstey AT portal.ca>
  • To: "Hebraisticum" <hebraisticum AT mail.uni-mainz.de>, "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Verbless clauses
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 11:57:53 -0700

Gday all,

I emailed on the B-Hebrew list several months back about glossing verbless
clauses for a computerised Hebrew-English interlinear we are working on. We
have decided at this stage to gloss sentences such as "The man is good" as
"The man [is] good". This is rather than "The man is good" or "The man
good". However, we would just like some more technical linguistic advice as
to the placement of the [is] in the interlinear. It has to be attached to
either "the man" or "good." So the two options are (the full-stops indicate
connection):
1. the.man [is].good
2. the.man.[is] good

What are the opinions of linguists (and others) on the list as to which is
more linguistically accurate? Likewise, with this sort of sentence (Gen
2.19), what is best:
1. that.[was] its.name
2. that [was].its.name

One final example from Eze 28.3:
1. wiser you.[are] than.Daniel
2. [are].wiser you than.Daniel

Thanks in advance,

With regards
Matthew Anstey
on behalf of Summer Institute of Linguistics