b-hebrew - RE: Re[2]: Translations and Bias

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Andrew Kulikovsky <anku AT CelsiusTech.com.au>
  • To: "'b-hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Re[2]: Translations and Bias
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 09:40:56 +0930

<snip>

> We should also pay attention to the lexical properties of the
> noun in the genitive, whether a collective noun ("firstborn of all
> creation") or a generic noun ("firstborn of beast") or a plural noun
> ("firstborn of your sons"). But none of the semantics changes the inherent

> lexical partitive force of prwtotokos.

A couple of things:

1. This is supposed to be a Hebrew list - why are we discussing Greek???

2. Why is every Biblical language list full of Jehovah's Witnesses trying to
defend their idiosyncratic New World Translation, which is quite literal and
conventional except when the verse states or alludes to the divinity of
Christ???

cheers,
Andrew
--
Andrew S. Kulikovsky B.App.Sc(Hons) MACS
Software Engineer

"The road to tyranny, we must never forget,
is the destruction of the truth."
-- President Bill Clinton, during a
speech at the University of
Connecticut, 1995.