b-hebrew - Re[2]: Translations and Arian Bias

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu, furuli AT online.no
  • Subject: Re[2]: Translations and Arian Bias
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:19:19 -0500

Rolf ended his long posting as follows:

"...the only natural rendition would be "the firstborn of all
creation"."

The problem is, that is not a natural rendition in modern English. For
a start, we would use "oldest child" rather than "firstborn". But
suppose we do look at this phrase, apart from the context, as Rolf
suggests. In English, it certainly does not mean "the first part to be
created of all creation". It probably suggests that the one referred
to is the child, the oldest one, of "all creation". The only other
sensible meaning is to take "firstborn" in the sense of Psalm 89:28 as
"one in authority over", broadly equivalent to KEFALH in Col 1:18
where the genitive, as in the English "head of", implies authority
over. But there is no way that Rolf's English rendering makes Jesus a
part of creation; either he has authority over it, or he is born of
it.

Peter Kirk