b-hebrew - Job 19:25

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Robert Vining <rvining AT log.on.ca>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Job 19:25
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:00:27 -0500

Trying to understand Job 19:25. "I know that my Redeemer liveth". Is
this a God affirming, or a God challenging subversive verse? Does the
ancient author mean that God Himself is and will be Redeemer, or, that
Job will have a kinsman-redeemer who will vindicate him (as the *go'el*
in Num.35:19 and Deut. 19:6,12) in his controversy with God.? To want
vengeance against God .appears to go beyond what is common in Job, i.e.
Job wanting his day in God's court; his challenging and accusatory
demeanor toward God. Will Job be redeemed by God?, or, will Job's
kinsman-redeemer vindicate him in his controversy against God for the
unjust treatment Job has received from God? .

Some scholars say 25b-27 are garbled beyond clear interpretation. Any
thoughts why this might be (if true)?

Robert Vining, Owen Sound, Ontario rvining AT log.on.ca

  • Job 19:25, Robert Vining, 03/29/1999