b-hebrew - Pros/Inter-Thetic Alef

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dale M. Wheeler" <dalemw AT teleport.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Pros/Inter-Thetic Alef
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 08:53:12 -0800

Dear Hebrew Minutiae-ologists...

In making another pass through KBS (the third one) to conform the MorphBHS
to KBS, I keep running across these proposed verb roots/lexemes which have
an Alef prefix/infixed, but actually occur as normal tri-radicals (either
without the Alef or with one other consonant, sometimes geminate). Some
examples (using CCAT transliteration) :

)ZNX [for )NX; Isa 19:6]
)XD [for XDD; Ezk 21:21]
)D$ [for DW$; Isa 28:28]
)DD [for DDH; Ps 42:5 ??]

I don't have my Gesenius at hand, but KBS gives no explanations for these
proposed forms. Has anyone done any research or have any guesses as to what
is going on here ? These look suspiciously like the prosthetic Alef in
Aramaic at Dan 5:3,4 (?).

Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Co-Editor, Westminster MorphBHS

Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail: dalemw AT teleport.com

  • Pros/Inter-Thetic Alef, Dale M. Wheeler, 03/29/1999