b-hebrew - Re[2]: Verb forms in lists (was Re: Wayyiqtol)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Verb forms in lists (was Re: Wayyiqtol)
  • Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 19:47:01 -0500

Galia wrote:

1. *whayiqtol ---> *wayiqtol ---> wayyiqtol
..

2. *khamalka ---> *kamalka ---> kammalka 'like the queen'
*bhamamlaxa ---> *bamamlxa ---> bammalaxa 'in the kingdom'
*lhamelex ---> *lamelex ---> lammelex 'to the king'

The question is why the he drops in (2), which necessitates the
gemination of the subsequent consonnat.

<long snip>

According to this hypothesis, the process illustrated in (1) would
have two previous stages, as illustrated in (3) below:

3. *phayiqtol ---> *payiqtol ---> *wayiqtol---> wayyiqtol

Peter's reply:

The explanation after 2. cannot be quite right, as the consonant is
geminated also without the preposition: hammelek

I would prefer to explain the gemination as replacing an original
consonant. Thus perhaps the Hebrew article was originally hal- (cf
Arabic al-). Thus the process is e.g.

*hal-melek -> hammelek
*l-hal-melek -> *l-hammelek -> lammelek BUT
*w-hal-melek -> *w-hammelek -> wehammelek (h not elided)

*w-hal-yiqtol -> *w-hayyiqtol -> wayyiqtol OR
*p-hal-yiqtol -> *p-hayyiqtol -> *phayyiqtol ->wayyiqtol

i.e. h is elided after p as after b,k,l, but perhaps we are left with
an aspirated p (written as ph, the h should be superscripted) which
later shifted to w, in distinction to other p's which remained p or
shifted to f. That's a slightly different phonetic explanation to
Galia's but on the same sort of lines. (I don't buy the suggestion
that p -> f counts as a double shift as it occurs in many languages,
presumably because a labio-dental plosive is impossible if you have
gapped teeth and bilabial fricatives are rare and hard to pronounce).

I don't know if any of this is provable, but it is more what I was
thinking concerning the article.

Peter Kirk