b-hebrew - Re[2]: 2Ki 20:7 and Isa 38:21

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: 2Ki 20:7 and Isa 38:21
  • Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 19:13:22 -0500

Interesting statistics. But I don't think they back up Rolf's case.
Let us look at how many of the cases show a fundamental semantic
difference between the parallel sentences, according to Rolf's theory
and an alternative.

Rolf's theory, if I understand correctly, makes an essential division
between qatal/weqatal on one side and yiqtol/weyiqtol/wayyiqtol on the
other. On this theory 24+4+6+5+11 = 50 doublets show a semantic
distinction and only 7+2 = 9 do not. This does not seem to tie up well
with Rolf's assumption that most of the doublets have the same
meaning; rather it suggests that in the great majority of doublets the
change of verb form was made in order to change the meaning of the
text. That seems unlikely!

On the other hand, if we follow a four-component model, we can very
approximately identify wayyiqtol with qatal, and weqatal and weyiqtol
with yiqtol. Perhaps the Chronicler preferred qatal to wayyiqtol and
that is the source of many of the differences. On this theory
24+4+some of 11 = between 29 and 38 show no great semantic difference
and 6+7+2+5+some of 11 = between 21 and 30 show significant semantic
difference. This is at least less inconsistent with Rolf's assumption.
A refined model taking into account word order might well reduce the
number of doublets where there is a real difference in meaning to a
very small number including the particular case in question, where the
difference may go back to misunderstanding of the unpointed text and
perhaps other matters such as textual corruption.

Peter Kirk