b-hebrew - Re: A Synthesis of Ancient Palestinian Religion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Doug Kasten <doug.kasten AT juno.com>
  • To: barre AT c-zone.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: A Synthesis of Ancient Palestinian Religion
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 21:46:51 EST

Dear Lloyd,

Thanks for your clarification. Your appreciation for my perspective is
noted and likewise appreciated. As I'd said, I wasn't insulted or
offended by what you wrote, and your (unneeded) apology certainly
demonstrates your desire for civility. My initial posting to you had to
do with the nature of your argumentation and my growing disinterest. I
simply wanted you to know why.

As a demonstration that the presuppositional Divide still divides us,
consider these words of your response to me:

"That El and Yahweh were the gods of the peoples of Israel and Judah is
self-evident."

Ah, a return to the crux! I'm afraid our schism is more final than
further explanation or clarification can account for. No, it's not
"self-evident". You asked, some time ago, of the list's participants if
you'd convinced them that El and Yhwh were two different gods. Most
or two. My problem remains that you presuppose something that isn't
easily (or at all) 'provable' and leave those of us who don't share your
presuppostions behind at that point. This is why I don't read your
postings anymore. This is just one citation from your response. There
are others I could cite with ease that make clear why we are at
presuppositional odds.

You're free to hold your presuppositions, of course. I simply wanted to
let you know that I exercise my freedom not to read further as a result
thereof.

I've read your most recent posting in its entirety since I believe I
prompted it, and it's the minimal courtesy due you. However, my initial
position remains, and you have lost a reader unless you can somehow
mitigate the forcefulness of your presuppositions. If not, we have a
civil, though decisive, parting of ways.

Thanks for your attention to this matter. From time to time I'll check
in again with your postings to see what you're assuming in your
arguments. Who knows? As for the moment, feel no need to address this
issue any more, at least as far as I'm concerned. You'd do far better
with your time addressing an audience which shares more of your
'assumed'. I likewise will be turning my attention to what is truly
productive for me at this time.

Warmly,
Doug
Dt. 6:4

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]