b-hebrew - Re: A Synthesis of Ancient Palestinian Religion

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Doug Kasten <doug.kasten AT juno.com>
  • To: barre AT c-zone.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: A Synthesis of Ancient Palestinian Religion
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 12:04:04 EST

Dear Lloyd,

You wrote in part to Peter,

>That we all have been brainwashed is evident from the responses to my
>thesis that El and Yahweh are different gods. This is established by
>empirical research beyond a doubt. Indeed were it not primarily
>because of these Tetragrammaton traditions, the distinction would not
>have been challenged. As it is, responses have been obviously fueled
>by psychological resistance, not by basic common sense. Consider your
>own position. It is indefensible. Just try.

I have read with some degree of interest your postings to date. However,
I don't anymore. It is not out of spite or any such malice that I don't,
but because of the nature of your language, cited above. I'm not
offended, please understand. However, your language leaves no room for
dialog, but only for me to suppose that what I believe is "indefensible"
because I have been "brainwashed" and am ignoring emprical research which
is "beyond a doubt" which makes me in turn an opponent of the excercise
of "basic common sense". A wise prof once instructed us as we set out
to write a paper, "Don't tear down your opponent until you have made his
best case." Evidently you don't even think I (we) have one to make.

Since I am a person possessed of a modicum of intelligence and education,
and am known by friends and family alike to exercise common sense at
least most of the time, your assumption that my disagreements with your
perspective stem from a lack of said qualities discredits you, not me.
Even if you believe I'm out to lunch, don't put it that way if you want
to be heard, at least by the likes of me (and I doubt I'm alone).

If you do not believe as I've interpreted above, I invite you to modify
your language to better reflect your opinions.

Warmly,
Doug

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]