b-hebrew - Re: I AM THAT I AM

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Eric Weiss" <eweiss AT gte.net>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Re: I AM THAT I AM
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 11:2:3

Part of where I am going with this is that "I am what/that I am" conveys
the
idea of eternality, unchangingness, etc. But "I will be what I will be" in
light of the other near uses of ehye in this passage ("I will be with you"
- 3:12), "I will be with your mouth" - 4:12,15) conveys to me a more
covenant/personal
sense of God - i.e., I will be to you and with you for whatever you need
as you walk with me and do my will, etc., as opposed to an eternal "ground
of being" (a la Tillich?) sense of God.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, and I know just enough Hebrew to be
dangerous (I had 1 year but have let it lay dormant). I don't want to make
3:14 have this "more meaningful" covenant senst if indeed all the author
wanted to convey was the eternality and omni-whateverness of God. But if he
wanted to stress the "I WILL BE WHAT YOU NEED"-ness of God and and used
ehye for that, because he indeed had other choices for saying "I AM..."
then perhaps ehye does better mean "I WILL BE..."

I figured that ")ANI ASHER )ANI" would be a Hebrew way of saying "I AM WHAT
I AM" (like the Greek EGW hOS EGW - I incorrectly wrote hO in my first
message).

I assume you're not satisfied with the LXX rendering of Exodus 3:14. When
you say:

> BTW, if the above explanation is accepted,
> there is a huge gap between Exodus 3:14 and
> the EGW EIMI of John 8:58.

are you saying that those who read a reference to Exodus 3:14 in John's "I
AM" statements are in error?