b-hebrew - Re[2]: Translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Translation
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 23:13 -0500 (EST)

This sounds a great idea in theory but how far do you take it? Idioms
from the original often just don't communicate properly. I guess )FP
taken alone doesn't mean "anger" any more than it means "face", and
)EREK )APPAYIM is just an idiom... but would you really translate (in
Exodus 34:6 etc) that YHWH has a long nose?! :-)

Peter Kirk