b-hebrew - Re: Translation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Irene Riegner" <iriegner AT concentric.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Translation
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 14:10:56 -0500

Hi Irene, Steve, et al.

Fox has a Hebrew word for steam; observe the Gen 4:2 note on the name
Hevel(commonly known as Abel): "The name suggests vapor, steam, i.e.,
'something transitory' (see the opening of the book of Ecclesiastes: _havel
havalim_)." But I think the root may not be used in any meteorological
context.

Or how about _)ed_ in Gen 2:6 _v:)ed ya(a:leh min ha)arec_ BDB says
"mist" for _)ed_, and the Fox says for Gen 2:6, "...but a surge would well
up from the ground..."

You may want to see Job 36:32-33 or Ps 148:8 more likely meteorological