b-hebrew - Re: 1 Kings 11:18

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Al Silberman <alfred.silberman AT lmco.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Cc: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • Subject: Re: 1 Kings 11:18
  • Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 07:48:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 09 Sep 1998 Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph> wrote:

>It does result in an interpretation question, however. If "promised" is
>the intented meaning here, does that mean that the food may or may not
>have been given? Why the change of verb, with NTN used in the first and
>third of the group of clauses and )MR in the second? I don't see, "and
>he gave him a house, and bread he promised him, and land he gave him,"
>as being the necessary equivalent of, "and he gave him a house and bread
>and land."

There is a big difference between the giving of land, a house and bread.
The first two represent a one time gift while bread would have to be
supplied daily. Thus, while a house and land were given as a one time gift,
bread had to promised for the future on a continuous basis.

Which brings up the following questions:
1. Why aren't house and land listed together?
2. Wouldn't it be more natural to say land then house?