b-hebrew - 1 Kings 11:18

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Paul Zellmer <zellmer AT cag.pworld.net.ph>
  • To: B-hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: 1 Kings 11:18
  • Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 11:22:07 +0800

The last few clauses in 1 Kings 11:18 (with the arrival in Egypt) read:

WAY.FBO)W. MIC:RAYIM )EL-P.AR:(OH MELEK:-MIC:RAYIM W)Y.IT.EN-LOW BAYIT
W:LEXEM )FMAR LOW W:)EREC NFTAN LOW

My question is concerns the *'amar lo*. I'm not quite sure what to do
with it. It's not wayyiqtol. Is it a qal qatal verb clause, like it
appears on the surface, meaning, "He said to him"? That doesn't make a
lot of sense in this context.

The English versions I have here are either ignoring it or making it
part of the concept of provisions, but I haven't found support for that
type of idiom. What am I missing?

Paul
Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Philippines