anima - [Anima Dance] Mechanics of Partnering workshop

anima@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Anima Dance

  • From: Rachel Brooker <brooker.rachel@gmail.com>
  • To: anima dance <anima@lists.ibiblio.org>, dance forum triangle <triangledanceforum@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [Anima Dance] Mechanics of Partnering workshop
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:27:09 -0400

Hi Everyone--

I've just scheduled a new workshop at Wellness Partners in the Arts, downtown Durham. Hope to see some repeat attenders from our Spring partnering workshop, and lots of new faces as well.

Rachel
www.animadance.org

The Mechanics of Partnering
a Creative Body workshop, Saturday, September 24, 1-3:30 pm
Wellness Partners in the Arts, 319 W. Main Street, Durham
www.wpadurham.com
In this workshop, we will focus on the mechanics of weight and balance in partnered movement. We'll develop skills in giving and receiving body weight, center of gravity awareness, and how best to avoid injury when dancing with a partner. We'll progress to learning more complex lifts, and develop our own short duets. This workshop is ideal for both the seasoned partner and the mover who wants to learn new partnering skills. Some dance or martial arts experience recommended.
$35, $30 for registrations received before September 17.
Scholarships and work-study available.

To register contact rachel_brooker@yahoo.com.
Teacher Rachel Brooker draws on her experience in a variety of dance and bodywork techniques to create her supportive, transformative teaching technique. For more information, visit www.animadance.org.

Other upcoming classes and workshops:

Intro to Modern Dance
Durham Arts Council, www.durhamarts.org
Explore the many possibilities of modern dance. We'll begin with a basic warmup that brings awareness to the entire body and gets us ready to move- then we'll learn longer movement sequences, sometimes working with partners, and generally getting a move on! This class is appropriate for beginning dancers or those with less than two years experience.
Tuesdays, 8:15-9:30 pm
September 13- October 18 (6 weeks)
November 1- December 13 (no class November 15)
$84 per session
Registration information at:
http://www.durhamarts.org/classes_registration.html

Introduction to Yoga Workshop
Ninth Street Dance, Saturday, October 29th, 3:30-5:00
Have you been hearing about the health benefits of practicing yoga but been hesitant to take that first step of signing up for a class? Then this workshop is for you! Basic hatha yoga poses will be explored in a gentle, supportive atmosphere; all fitness levels welcome. $15
To register, contact Ninth Street Dance, (919)286-6011, www.ninthstreetdance.com.

  • [Anima Dance] Mechanics of Partnering workshop, Rachel Brooker, 08/26/2005