aifia-metrics - RE: [Aifia-metrics] standards: bottom-up x top-down?

aifia-metrics AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Towards standard methods and metrics for evaluating IA

  • From: "Marcia Morante" <info AT kcurve.com>
  • To: "Rashmi Sinha" <rashmi AT rashmisinha.com>, <aifia-metrics AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Aifia-metrics] standards: bottom-up x top-down?
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 18:39:20 -0400

Sorry for my lack of participation so far in this discussion. In general, I
agree with the agenda as stated. However, I don't think that it's necessary
to choose either a top down or bottom up approach. An "hybrid" approach
that incorporates aspects of both might be useful. From a top down
perspective, I'm not talking about creating standards (I agree that this
makes no sense), but rather taking a systematic look at what standards exist
or are emerging as well as the areas where standards are most needed or
would be of greatest benefit (along the lines of needs analysis). The
bottom up approach will be difficult to get a grip on until a fair number of
contributions/suggestions are made and some kind of organization can be
discerned or applied. Starting from both ends might provide a perspective
that would otherwise be missing.

mm

Marcia Morante
KCurve, Inc.