aifia-metrics - Re: RE: [Aifia-metrics] Agenda for the group

aifia-metrics AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Towards standard methods and metrics for evaluating IA

  • From: "Christopher Gomez" <aifia AT time.net.my>
  • To: Rashmi Sinha <rashmi AT rashmisinha.com>
  • Cc: aifia-metrics AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: RE: [Aifia-metrics] Agenda for the group
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 13:33:51 +0800

Hi all,

Am posting this as per Rashmi's suggestion.

Note to Rashmi: Am not a linguist. I had to learn as much as I could --
it was a necessity in some sense :)

Note to Steve Mulder: Hey, Steve we may have a couple of things in
common (i.e. through Terra Lycos and company politics **grin**).

Note to everyone else: sorry for the long intro bout me self - it was
me cutting and pasting it from another intro I'd done before.

Best wishes,
Chris Gomez
Senior Swivel Chair Seat Warmer
www.radicate.com
==&==

//= START of Forwaded Message =//

>From Rashmi Sinha <rashmi AT rashmisinha.com>
Date Tuesday, July 1, 2003 11:56 am
To "Christopher Gomez" <aifia AT time.net.my>

Hi Christopher,
Your point makes sense. You are right in that there has to be
forward movement towards standard/s with what this group does.
It cannot simply be sharing and sharing. We need to build that
into the agenda of the group. Whether it should be an explicit
movement towards standards or not at this stage, we should
figure out on the group mailing list itself.

Please do post this to the mailing list itself. I started
writing a reply to you and then decided that it probably
makes sense to hash this out in front of the group...

Note: Something I have been thinking about but have not shared
with the group is if we can try to provide explicit support for
standards to emerge, rather than create them. It could be a
hybrid top-down, bottom-up approach.
More later...

Anyway, generally speaking I am very open to what you are
bringing up, and look forward to discussing this on the list.

-rashmi

May I add that I am feeling quite jealous of the number of
languages you are familiar with :-) I have just three: English,
Hindi and bengali.