acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] fixing spam on the wiki

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT gondwanaland.com>
  • To: "AcaWiki general (listserv)" <acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] fixing spam on the wiki
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 18:22:24 -0800

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 04:46, Jodi Schneider <jschneider AT pobox.com> wrote:
> I guess this is ok, but it makes me sad.
>
> Our latest featured summary came from an IP user:
> http://acawiki.org/index.php?title=Characterization_of_alkanes,_hopanes,_and_polycyclic_aromatic_hydrocarbons_(PAHs)_in_tar-balls_collected_from_the_East_Coast_of_Peninsular_Malaysia&action=history

I agree it is a good thing to try. I hope the experiment has not been
started yet, as spam continues. :-\

> But so far I'm the main person clearing spam and would love to see less of
> it. Spammers are willing to create accounts, they just generally drop them
> after 1-2 uses. But let's see if it works.

On that note, I'm only going to delete articles from now on. Also
blocking users is a lot more work
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/acawiki-general/2011-November/000262.html
and it isn't clear it does any good given 1-2 uses (I can't recall
seeing even 2 recently).

Mike