acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] acawiki/language

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Jodi Schneider <jodi AT acawiki.org>
  • To: Tel Amiel <psor AT lavabit.com>
  • Cc: acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] acawiki/language
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:00:30 +0100

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Tel Amiel <psor AT lavabit.com> wrote:
hi folks,

we have recently translated the main page of acawiki to portuguese, and have now begun adding article summaries. the first one (http://acawiki.org/Learning_objects:_Resources_for_distance_education_worldwide), gave us some ideas and issues.

Thanks for doing this! It's great to have several new summaries in Portuguese. We should feature one of them as the 'featured summary' soon!

our goal is to help folks find summaries in portuguese for articles written in other languages. as it stands, acawiki does not make this distinction and so our scenario does not work.

It sounds like we want to indicate:
* Language of the original article
* Language of the summary

Let's add those to the form template.

i'm wondering if this is feasible/reasonable: could we have an option for folks to surf only PT summaries?

With the language of the summary, that would be easy.

PT summaries in education, and so forth?

Adding tags would be one way to do this. There's also a very powerful search interface, for pulling any of the metadata items out. Here's how you get everything with 'education' in the subject:

http://acawiki.org/Special:SearchByProperty/Subject/Education

are there alternative ways to make this work?

Aside from tags, subjects, and adding language terms? Probably! Other ideas anybody?

-Jodi

cheers,

tel