acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] [Wiki-research-l] New version of Wikipedia review.

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Jon Phillips <jon AT fabricatorz.com>
  • To: jschneider AT pobox.com
  • Cc: Neeru Paharia <neerupaharia AT gmail.com>, Finn Årup Nielsen <fn AT imm.dtu.dk>, mike AT creativecommons.org, "AcaWiki general \(listserv\)" <acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] [Wiki-research-l] New version of Wikipedia review.
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 10:38:19 -0500

This is great!

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 6:53 AM, Jodi Schneider <jschneider AT pobox.com> wrote:

> 2011/6/22 Finn Årup Nielsen <fn AT imm.dtu.dk>
>>
>> Hi Jodi,
>>

>> ons, 22 06 2011 kl. 00:51 +0200, skrev Jodi Schneider:
>>
>> > Do you know who to contact on the Brede wiki about licensing for the
>> > summaries?
>>
>> Ha! That is a really funny question. I am practically Brede Wiki. I am
>> sorry that is not clear from the Brede Wiki description. :-)
>>

>> > I think it would be really cool to add summaries to AcaWiki, if Brede
>> > wiki folks would agree:
>> > http://acawiki.org/
>>
>> You are indeed welcome to add summaries to AcaWiki.
>>
>> The only issue would be that the Brede Wiki is distributed with
>> share-alike while Acawiki is not-necessarily share-alike. As practically
>> all summaries are written by me I can easily put it under CC-by.
>
> That would be great for clarity -- otherwise we have to keep documentation
> of individual permissions!
>

>> Maybe I
>> should change the default license?
>
> CC-BY is less restrictive. Unless you are opposed to potential
> commercialization of your work, CC-BY is better than CC-BY-SA, in the sense
> that it makes reuse easier. CC-BY is, of course, worse if you prefer
> copyleft licenses! :)
>

>> Have you given any thought as to why
>> you selected CC-by and not CC-by-sa?
>
> The license was already chosen when I got involved.  Neeru, Mike, Greg, any
> comments?
>>
>> I suppose CC-by is practically the
>> standard among researchers, while CC-by-sa stems from Wikimedia
>> Foundation inspired projects.
>
> CC-BY-SA is pretty recent in Wikimedia:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Licensing_update
>

>> Note that I can extract all the structured data to a database (not the
>> body text though) which will/should make it much easier for you to
>> include the data in your wiki.
>
> Thanks, that would be great! A list, or category page, of the summaries
> would be helpful, too.
> We'll want to figure out how to track summaries, and changes to summaries,
> going forward, as well.
> :) -Jodi

Ok, let us know if you need help with the import.

Also, isn't there a case for regular exports->imports?

If there are other outreach and data to import, and/or others have
ideas please do put down here:

http://acawiki.org/AcaWiki:Related_people_and_groups#Outreach_ideas

Even better is that we plot out how to realistically import data and
build relationships on our Roadmap:

http://acawiki.org/AcaWiki:Roadmap

One more point is that this also can help us to our drive towards Top
100 Papers:

http://acawiki.org/AcaWiki:Top_100_Papers

Great Finn!

Jon