acawiki-general - Re: [acawiki-general] Fwd: pages without summaries?

acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org

  • From: Jodi Schneider <jschneider AT pobox.com>
  • To: Christopher Adams <christopher AT fabricatorz.com>
  • Cc: "AcaWiki general \(listserv\)" <acawiki-general AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [acawiki-general] Fwd: pages without summaries?
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 07:38:39 -0400

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Christopher Adams <christopher AT fabricatorz.com> wrote:
Any way that we can cut down on noise would be helpful. Visitors clicking a link expecting a summary shouldn't be confronted with a blank page or stub.

It's one thing to have a list of papers that need summarizing - this is precisely what we are doing on the 100 top papers list. But the individual summary pages do not need to be created until someone actually sits down and writes the summary.

I would say that if a summary page has no content AND no other pages link to it, and it isn't recent, we should consider either deleting it or adding it to a category that we can filter out from the main pages.

We want to *keep* the metadata and make it easy to add summaries. (See the conversation with Jim Pitman)

Just deleting won't do that: Deleting the page would mean a *lot* of metadata rekeying -- which is a disincentive to creating the page. Can we store metadata-only pages in some different way? They definitely need to be filtered, they should still show up as redlinks, and they shouldn't be prominent in search engines.

-Jodi

- Christopher