b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "Foreigners"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dustin Curlee <owner AT sold2close.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "Foreigners"
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 19:39:29 -0600

Mr. Levin,

I greatly appreciate your response. Someone else actually sent me the link and I have already registered.

Have a blessed night!

Dustin...

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Yigal Levin <Yigal.Levin AT biu.ac.il> wrote:

Dear Dustin,

First of all, the answer is no. A "ger" is a "sojourner" or "temporary resident" or "resident alien" dependant on the context. "Nokhri" simply means "foreigner". "Goy" is "nation"; "Goyim" are "nations". And while "ger" and "nokhri" can apply to an Israelite who is living among non-Israelites, in the Bible they usually apply to non-Israelites living among Israelites. "Goy" can refer either to the nation of Israel or to another nation. The later Jewish use of "goyim" as "gentiles" (that is, non-Jews as individuals) only developed after the biblical period. The interpretations that you cite below are incorrect.

Blessings,

Yigal Levin