b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] "Foreigners"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dustin Curlee <owner AT sold2close.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] "Foreigners"
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 19:15:44 -0600

I am having a discussion with someone with regards to the words "ger," "nokhri," and "goyim." He states that these words apply to a native born Israelite who had left the land, dwelt in a foreign land, and who had returned, thus making them a "foreigner," "sojourner," or "stranger," respectively.

The impact of this being true would mean that in each instance within the Torah, Wisdom literature, and Prophets (minor and major), the use of this word would strictly applies to an Israelite rather than anyone who was a non-Israelite; thus, the Greek counterpart within the New Testament is also referring to an Israelite.

My question is, is this an accurate translation of "ger," "nokhri," and "goyin?"

Thank you,

Dustin Curlee