xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Billion Laughs

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: XOM API for Processing XML with Java <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Billion Laughs
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 05:42:10 -0400

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 1:53 AM, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson AT gmail.com> wrote:

> You can't please all the people all the time?
> If I run some tiny server with 256K memory running java...
> vs my online server with 256Gb.....

The limit will be configurable, but the problem isn't size. It's security.
I can still overload that 256 GB server pretty easily if I'm trying.

Two more ideas:

1. Should the default limit be based somehow on available memory? and if so
what? e.g. XX% of the heap size?
2. Is it plausible to simply catch an OutOfMemoryError in the Builder and
clean up, or would the system be hosed enough at that point, that cleanup
isn't reliable?

elharo AT ibiblio.org