xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Namespace validation bug

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: XOM API for Processing XML with Java <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Namespace validation bug
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 20:01:29 -0400

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 2:56 AM, Dan Pollitt <dan.s.pollitt AT gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I understand this to be a valid namespace URI:
> "urn://schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"

Interesting. I'm going to have to go to the specs on this one. See

According to that, the port is indeed malformed:

The port subcomponent of authority is designated by an optional port
number in decimal following the host and delimited from it by a
single colon (":") character.

port = *DIGIT

A scheme may define a default port. For example, the "http" scheme
defines a default port of "80", corresponding to its reserved TCP
port number. The type of port designated by the port number (e.g.,
TCP, UDP, SCTP) is defined by the URI scheme. URI producers and
normalizers should omit the port component and its ":" delimiter if
port is empty or if its value would be the same as that of the
scheme's default.

Furthermore, it's malformed as a URN since // is not allowed in the NID:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2141

So, yes, there's a bug here but it's not in XOM. XOM is correctly
informing you of an error in what looks like a Microsoft-defined
format.

elharo AT ibiblio.org