xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] XOM-interest Digest, Vol 90, Issue 7

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Michael Ludwig <milu71 AT gmx.de>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] XOM-interest Digest, Vol 90, Issue 7
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 00:22:41 +0200

[Re: [XOM-interest] XOM-interest Digest, Vol 90, Issue 7]

> Now that you've spelled it out for me, I suppose it should have been
> obvious instead of frustrating when I saw that every "&" I sent
> through came back as "&amp;" instead.

There are five pre-declared entities in XML, which are:

* amp
* lt
* gt
* apos
* quot

You can use them by referring to them in XML using entity references:

<builtin> &apos; &lt; &gt; &quot; &amp; </builtin>

> Would it make sense to make encoding available as a setting in the
> .ini file?

It really entirely depends on what makes sense for your application.

> One last question (hopefully for awhile), I know you're both very
> busy people; any excellent books or sites to read about encoding
> that would help someone who hasn't done a lot with it become more
> proficient? I read this old article
> (http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html) by Joel
> Spolsky, and it was very helpful.

Most or all stuff by that guy is.

To learn about Unicode, leave English. Go to German, French, Greek and
Russian text data, and then start processing it, like here:

PerlScript/ASP: Unicode issue
http://code.activestate.com/lists/activeperl/21512/

Java has very solid Unicode support, though, as it was born into
Unicode; unlike Perl or other older languages, which have their Latin-1
legacy to carry along.

--
Michael Ludwig

  • Re: [XOM-interest] XOM-interest Digest, Vol 90, Issue 7, Michael Ludwig, 10/01/2010