xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] (no subject)

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: XOM API for Processing XML with Java <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] (no subject)
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 07:01:08 -0400

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 5:48 AM, Jason McKendry
<jason.mckendry AT namelessoperation.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have built an application on top of XOM, and the last thing I haven't
> been able to iron out over the past few weeks has been a problem with
> character references and escape sequences to represent non-standard
> characters in my XML data files.  I found information about how to use the
> xsl:output tag to add a character map, but since the result of each
> transformation is a XOM Nodes object, the xsl:output tag is never
> processed.  I had to solve a similar problem using the DocType object, but
> I wasn't having any luck figuring out how to use that knowledge to solve
> this problem.

You should never have to worry about character references. Just use
the characters you want to use like © in your text and let XOM decide
how to encode them on output. Unless by "non-standard characters" you
mean characters that aren't even in Unicode--e.g. Klingon--in which
case there's not a lot XOM can do for you.

elharo AT ibiblio.org