xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Parsing an XML document from a URL

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Dave Pawson <dave.pawson AT gmail.com>
  • To: XOM API for Processing XML with Java <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Parsing an XML document from a URL
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 11:45:52 +0100

On 8 May 2010 11:38, Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT ibiblio.org> wrote:
> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 6:04 AM, PG-Dillingham, Iain
> <Iain.Dillingham.1 AT city.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Thanks for your prompt reply.
>>
>> I appreciate that the issue here lies with the W3C rejecting requests and
>> noted the local DTD at Cafe con Leche. However, I wonder if you -- or
>> another member of this list -- could suggest a work-around? I don't wish
>> to validate the XML, merely parse and extract certain elements; ideally
>> without storing the XML locally. Using XOM, is this possible for XML where
>> the DTD is not accessible? Should I use SAX or DOM instead?
>>

> http://www.w3.org/blog/systeam/2008/02/08/w3c_s_excessive_dtd_traffic

Mean old Elliotte :-)

That's why they don't like it.
How you fix it?

Your choice.
1. Get rid of the DTD reference in your xml instance.
2. Copy the DTD from the given URL to your hard disk,
then change the reference in the XML instance
3. Learn how to use xml catalogs[1] which
basically tell xom that when he sees url X to go to file Y

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/entity/spec-2001-08-06.html

http://www.dpawson.co.uk/docbook/catalogs.html might help you
understand the use with XSLT,
I haven't used one with XOM, perhaps Elliotte can tell you
how to 'redirect' the resolver to use your catalog.

HTH

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.