xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Streaming Serializer

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Ian Phillips <ianp AT ianp.org>
  • To: XOM API for Processing XML with Java <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Streaming Serializer
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 23:15:54 +0100

Haven't really given this much thought, but off the top of my head…

> I never really planned for streaming serialization because I didn't
> think it was very useful. However people seem to keep asking for it,
> so maybe it's time to think about this.

Maybe like this:

serializer.startDocument("rootElement name")
for (int i = 0; i < 1000000000; ++i) {
serializer.write(createNodeWithRandomContent());
}
serializer.endDocument()

?

Or maybe with something that has an efficient (== small) in memory
representation but an inefficient (== defined by an external standard) XML
representation?

I'm not sure, but I can think of examples where it would be useful.

Also, perhaps, writing out the contents of a DB (embedded or otherwise) to
disk in XML format - what happens if the DB is fairly large?

Cheers,
Ian.

#ifndef __COMMON_SENSE__ | Ian Phillips
#include <std_disclaimer> | ianp AT ianp.org
#endif | http://ianp.org/