xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Known parsers

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Steve Loughran <steve.loughran AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Known parsers
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 21:34:52 +0000

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 4:59 AM, Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
wrote:
> Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:
>> Even though it has no effect on the OOM discussed in another thread,
>> I think it would be nice if Builder.setupParser() would recognize
>> xerces-2.9.x and the JDK-1.6 xerces flavour by adding the following
>> to the list of its known parsers:
>>
>> "org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser", // xerces-2.9.x
>> "com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.jaxp.SAXParserImpl
>> $JAXPSAXParser", // JDK 1.6

I've just switched to Xerces 2.9.1 this week, so it would be useful to me.

As for why the upgrade, I've been encountering problems in other
people's code that has a static initializer in a class that assumes
that your XML parser always supports Xinclude; the
UnsupportedFeatureException gets turned into an
ExceptionInInitializerError that then gets completely discarded in
Class.forName(), replacing it with a ClassNotFoundException with no
class indentification or stack trace.

Which raises a question: Which Java versions have parsers that ship
with XInclude support? Do all Java6 releases, or was it one of the uX
upgrades that fixed it? What about xerces proper?

There should really be a table somewhere listing all this stuff