xom-interest - [XOM-interest] nu.xom.IllegalCharacterDataException: 0xc is not allowed in XML content

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Marcus Downing" <marcus AT minotaur.it>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [XOM-interest] nu.xom.IllegalCharacterDataException: 0xc is not allowed in XML content
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 01:06:17 +0100

I'm getting:

nu.xom.IllegalCharacterDataException: 0xc is not allowed in XML content
...at nu.xom.Element.appendChild(Element.java:1069)

Text is pasted into a field on a web page, mostly from Word, and this
error is presumably the result of some bad data. I use UTF-8 across
the board, but most of the advanced characters I don't much care about
(non-breaking spaces and carriage returns can all just become spaces
for all I care).

What range of characters are "illegal"? Is there a reliable way I can
scan a string to remove illegal characters before appending it into an
Element? Or even better, can I control XOM's response to such
characters, so it removes them for me?

--
Marcus Downing
marcus AT minotaur.it

  • [XOM-interest] nu.xom.IllegalCharacterDataException: 0xc is not allowed in XML content, Marcus Downing, 06/10/2008