xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Bug: XOM's rules for system ids are too stringent

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <cowan AT ccil.org>
  • To: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: John Cowan <cowan AT ccil.org>, xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Bug: XOM's rules for system ids are too stringent
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:38:14 -0500

(Private response)

> At first glance, this appears to be another incompatible change

Quite right, but you're cherry-picking. Can you point to *any*
substantive errata that *don't* constitute an incompatible change?

The errata are at:

http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-V10-3e-errata
http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-V10-2e-errata
http://www.w3.org/XML/xml-19980210-errata

> Thus the system identifier is a URI, not merely a string that is
> converted to a URI. It is an error for a URI to contain an unescaped
> linefeed, and XOM should throw an exception in that case.

You should document this as a major deviation from XML 1.0. Or if you
are implementing XML 1.0 2e, you should say so.

--
"The serene chaos that is Courage, and the phenomenon cowan AT ccil.org
of Unopened Consciousness have been known to the John Cowan