xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] problems with "ä"

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Tatu Saloranta <cowtowncoder AT yahoo.com>
  • To: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] problems with "ä"
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:51:31 -0700 (PDT)

You should send sample documents as attachments -- otherwise it is likely to
get garbled or modified when you cut'n paste the sample. But I suspect you
really are using ISO-8859-x (Latin-x, like Latin-1) here, like Elliotte
suggested, not UTF-8 like xml declaration claims. Represenation of a with
umlauts differs between ISO-8859-x and UTF-8 encodings: in former all
characters that can be represented are single byte ones, in latter this
particular character would have to be 2 byte sequence.
And that is probably causing your problem, not Xerces or XOM.

Hope this helps,

-+ Tatu +-