xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] "Additional namespace" Exception using XMLReader

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: "Edwin Dankert" <edankert AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Elliotte Rusty Harold" <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] "Additional namespace" Exception using XMLReader
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:03:10 +0100

Thanks for the quick reply, I had another good look at the code and
realize that I did something wrong.

The other simplified XML Object Model APIs all set the namespace-
awareness property on the supplied XMLReader by default and XOM
doesn't.

So the following simple fix worked:

<code>
StringReader reader = new StringReader(
"<test xmlns:test=\"http://www.edankert.com/test\";
test:attribute=\"whatever\"/>");

SAXParserFactory factory = SAXParserFactory.newInstance();
factory.setNamespaceAware(true);

Builder builder = new Builder(factory.newSAXParser().getXMLReader());
builder.build(reader);
</code>

> Off the top of my head and without time to actually test, I suspect
> you're getting bitten by known design flaws in the SAXParser class.
>
> NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use that class for anything.
>
> If you can reproduce this problem without involving JAXP, I'll take
> another look at it.

Could you elaborate on this?

I intend to use the JAXP 1.3 mechanism to validate the XML input
document, setting the Schema object on the SAXParserFactory
which can then provide me with a correctly configured SAXParser/XMLReader.

Would you suggest I use the
"http://java.sun.com/xml/jaxp/properties/schemaSource"; property
instead?

Kind regards,