xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] CDATA sections vs character entities in browsers

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <cowan AT ccil.org>
  • To: Ed Davies <edavies AT nildram.co.uk>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] CDATA sections vs character entities in browsers
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:32:00 -0500

Ed Davies scripsit:

> in HTML the CDATA sections were taken as comments which surprised me
> a lot as I thought that CDATA sections were part of HTML

Technically, yes; CDATA sections are part of the SGML reference concrete
syntax, so they are incorporated into HTML by reference. In practice,
they are almost never used, and browsers typically do not support them.

> the DOM includes CDATA interfaces

Yes, unfortunately.

--
John Cowan cowan AT ccil.org http://ccil.org/~cowan
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths