xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] getElementById (not again.... I know, but..)

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <cowan AT ccil.org>
  • To: Tatu Saloranta <cowtowncoder AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] getElementById (not again.... I know, but..)
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 00:35:57 -0400

Tatu Saloranta scripsit:

> This is my understanding as well (with addition of
> RelaxNG schema info).

RELAX NG doesn't alter the infoset, so declaring something to
be of type xsd:ID just means that it has to meet the constraints
(an XML name unique among all other IDs). It doesn't make it
an ID as such.

> In case where one uses nice conversion tools to get
> from HTML to XML, like, say, TagSoup,

:-)

> > If you're using XPath on a DTDless document then
> > elements declared as
> > xs:ID in a W3C schema do not have type ID, and
> > arguably xml:id elements
> > don't either (unless declared that way in a DTD).
>
> If the parser supports Xml:id specification, they
> should, though. This seems to be the main purpose
> of Xml:id specification.

Just so. xml:id interpretation can be done directly in
the parser or in an intermediate layer between the parser
and XOM.

--
Clear? Huh! Why a four-year-old child John Cowan
could understand this report. Run out cowan AT ccil.org