xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] Possible defect?

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: Wolfgang Hoschek <wolfgang.hoschek AT mac.com>
  • To: Steve Loughran <steve.loughran AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu>, xom-interest <xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] Possible defect?
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 14:45:55 -0700

On Oct 3, 2006, at 1:19 PM, Steve Loughran wrote:

On 03/10/06, Elliotte Harold <elharo AT metalab.unc.edu> wrote:

I still think there is a real XOM bug here. However the fact that the
test passes on Java 5 and not on Java 6 makes me wonder if there's also
a bug in Java 6 (or maybe Java 5)?

Are they using an off the shelf version of Xerces in Java 1.6 or
something of their own?

Good question. It's xerces + sun's own fixes and changes, but unfortunately the version details are very much unknown and tend to change between minor java bug fix releases. One source for related information is the sun bug parade. Rather than working with an unknown moving target, I'd recommend for production software to run with, and stick to, a known and stable xerces release from apache (e.g. xerces-2.8.1), by putting it explicitly onto the classpath.

I know that their XSL engine raises lots of
'ant runs out of memory' bugreps on Java1.5, ones normal Xalan
doesnt...

There are two XSLT engines inside Xalan: classic Xalan (org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl) and XSLTC (com.sun.org.apache.xalan.internal.xsltc.trax.TransformerFactoryImpl), s witchable via the
javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory system property.

XSLTC is the default in Java 1.5, and anecdotal evidence suggests that it tends to be more memory hungry.

Wolfgang.