xom-interest - Re: [XOM-interest] can xom help with theses two problems

xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: XOM API for Processing XML with Java

  • From: John Cowan <cowan AT ccil.org>
  • To: teknokrat <teknokrat AT yahoo.com>
  • Cc: xom-interest AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [XOM-interest] can xom help with theses two problems
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:06:36 -0400

teknokrat scripsit:

> 1. leading spaces before the <?xml declaration. Is it possible for xom
> to strip these out?

An XML document with spaces before the declaration is not well-formed
XML. Neither XOM nor any similar package, nor any conforming XML
parser, can cope with such documents.

If you cannot get the source changed (and you should certainly try
that first; errors should be corrected as close to their source as
possible), you will have to interject a preprocessing step before
parsing.

> 2. We get given DOCTYPE declarations that do not point to a correct DTD.
> This breaks XOM even though we ask for a non validating parser.

Even non-validating parsers may read the DTD; you need a parser (or a
feature) that suppresses processing an external DTD altogether.
Your remedies are the same as in the first case.

--
Do I contradict myself? John Cowan
Very well then, I contradict myself. cowan AT ccil.org